Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21....

First off, thanks to those of you who wished Luke a "Happy Birthday" on my previous post.

Today, July 21, was Luke's actual birthday. This blog post may get long and much of it will be for our memories, but please enjoy reading and looking at the photos :)

Here's a photo of me, taken in the morning one year ago today. I was induced, so this photo was taken about 10 minutes before going to the hospital. Wow! Was I really that big? Apparently, I was.



After arriving at the hospital and the pitocin getting started, labor progressed at a nice slow pace. But, I did dilate O.K.

I remember all day being HOT in the labor room! So, the nice nurses kept the room cold and even got an extra fan. Then, everybody except for me was COLD. Here's a photo of Marc that we laugh a lot about now. He was so cold that he ended up with a blanket around him during all of my pushing. The nurse took this photo between contractions. Some might say that was tacky, but really, if you would've been there, you'd laugh like we are laughing.



Finally, after waiting all day to dilate to a 10, I started pushing around 7:00 or so in the evening. That's when things went south.

I pushed for several hours. Luke did not want to come out. So, around 10:00 P.M. one year ago (almost to the minute as I'm typing this), the dr. said we'd need to do a C-Section. Though I was disappointed, I didn't protest. I was EXHAUSTED. I was emotionally drained from things not going too well. So, Luke was born at 11:02 P.M. via C-Section.

Here's one of the first photos of our little boy.



I remember seeing him for the first time. It had been such a long day. I was still lying on the table while they finished up on the C-Section. I couldn't see him real well, but I do remember having tears come down my face -- out of joy as well as thankfulness that he was out and safe. The nurse anethescist at my head wiped my tears at that point.

The next four to six weeks or so seemed like a bit of a hurricane. Breastfeeding didn't go well at all, and I made many trips to the hospital to visit the lactation consultants. Because Luke didn't feed well, he didn't sleep well -- even for a newborn. I was exhausted. Marc had started a new job two months before, and so, he didn't have bunches of time to take off.

Then, things started to improve. By 8 1/2 weeks, Luke slept through the night, and he has done very well with that ever since. We're SOOOOO thankful for that.

Even through the challenges, we have THOROUGHLY loved and enjoyed our son. He's such a gift from God, and we're amazed that God has entrusted him to us.

******

Now, to his big birthday (or our big day since Luke didn't realize this day was any different than any other day)....

Marc is currently home on a required furlough for his job. So, even though he's not getting a paycheck for a couple of weeks, it was nice to have him spend the day with us on Luke's birthday. I don't go into work on Tuesdays, so I was home as well.

This morning, we took his usual photo in the chair. Also, he wore his "1" shirt from his Grandma Koehn.

A little flashback, though....

Luke, at two months....



Luke, at four months....



Luke, at six months....



At eight and ten months....





Tired of photos yet????? Here's today's photo!



After the photoshoot this morning, Luke played with some toys -- how many of his days go.



Now, if you know Marc, this won't surprise you. Marc said, "I think Luke would like to go and get pizza for his birthday lunch."

So, because Luke said so, we went and got pizza for lunch -- a buffet, nonetheless. (We did have a coupon, though -- that always helps).

Here's Marc, demonstrating his happiness for pizza and of course, Pepsi!



Each time Marc went back up to the buffet (which was several times), Luke had to watch his Daddy -- very cute from my perspective.



Other than that, Luke did very well for our lunch out. I had brought a few things for him, and he also really enjoyed the cinnamon sticks off of the buffet.



After his afternoon nap, Luke's friend Ava came over to bring him a present. It was a NEW BATHTOY -- definitely something he'll use. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of that.

This evening, I made him his favorite meal -- grilled cheese! Then, Luke and I went for a nice walk and even met up with his Daddy, who was on a run.

What a fun day for our family!!!!!

Again, thanks for reading my long post.

Happy 1st Birthday Luke!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Luke! :)

Doug and Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Luke!

Sarah, You survived the first year! Congratulations! Time speeds up from today on! You'll LOVE raising a little boy. You'll be Luke's first love and there is no greater feeling!

Aaron and Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Luke!!! That year seems to have gone fast! Sarah's right, this next year will just fly by. They get so big so fast.

Candice said...

Nice post...and happy birthday Luke!!

Blog Archive