Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The 34th Birthday....

As previously stated, yesterday (March 1) was my 34th birthday...

I had and continue to have a really bad headcold. You know how this winter has been called the "Endless Winter?" Well, I'm calling this cold the "Endless Headcold."

So, that was the only real bummer of yesterday.

Luke gave me a nice gift of sleeping in until almost 9:00 yesterday -- it gave me the opportunity to be lazy for a bit in the morning.

My best friend (next to my husband, of course) Tammy called me shortly after Luke got up. She lives up in cold Manitoba (Canada), and it's A.L.W.A.Y.S. a treat to talk with her. We weren't able to talk long as she has two young boys that were demanding her attention.

A former coworker called me after that....I'm happy he remembered.

So, by the time I was off the phone and we ate breakfast and I took a shower -- there wasn't much left of the relaxing morning.

Here are some intermittent photos of Luke to break up this wordy post. These photos are actually from today (Tuesday, the 2nd), though.



A little before noon, my dad showed up to take Luke and me to lunch -- which was very nice. We went to the Bread Basket here in town. It's a place I don't often go for lunch -- so, it was especially a nice treat.

(And, though I had my camera with me, I neglected to take photos -- Shame on me)!

A little secret about my dad -- he's a "Railfan." In other words, he likes trains.

You might remember from previous posts that Luke likes trains as well. It's something he certainly "shares" with his grandfather.

It's convenient that the Bread Basket is near the tracks here in town. So, after lunch, we, of course, went to the tracks. We saw a train! Luke and my dad were thrilled. I just sat there and enjoyed Luke's smile as he watched the train. I love my dad, but I've seen him watch trains for MANY years. It doesn't quite excite me in the same way as it does watching my son :)

After returning from lunch, Luke took a nice two-hour nap while I took a short nap and had my daily quiet time with God -- always desired and needed.

During the late afternoon, Luke and I went to the grocery store to get a cake and some ice cream for after supper....

I neglected to take a photo of the very cute little chocolate cake I found...So, will you settle for a 1/2 eaten cake?





Soon after that, Marc called to say he was on his way home....So, Luke and I once again got packed up and met Marc for supper at Applebee's. We went there so neither of us would have to cook. Plus, Marc and I have a birthday date planned this weekend.

Luke had a "toddler moment" at the restaurant. We ordered him a grilled cheese and fries -- something he normally eats. And, this was especially special because it was NOT "Kids eat for 99 cents" night.

He wanted NO part of that meal. He refused each time it was put in front of him or offered directly to his mouth. At first, I thought to myself, "Wow -- he's not eating. I hope he's not getting sick AGAIN."

Nope, he devoured a little cup of peaches I just happened to have along.

He was just being "toddler picky."

Uugghh...We had to pay for the meal that he DID NOT touch at all. Has this happened to any of the rest of you parents? Please, tell me, "Yes."

From there, we actually parted ways for a bit...I went out to the Graber Backhoe office as it is a payroll week, and payroll needed to be done. I prefer to do it WITHOUT Luke's assistance. Marc went home with Luke.

Fortunately, payroll went without a hitch!!!! I was home shortly.

Marc and I then ate the cake and ice cream AFTER Luke was in bed -- since he ate a TERRIBLE supper. Nope -- no sharing dessert with Luke for my birthday!

I opened many cards that people sent me...Thanks everybody!



And, to end the evening, I spent some time on Facebook -- thanking everybody who wished me a "Happy Birthday."

A little secret about myself -- I actually have been spending A LOT of time off of that site. I had even gone for a 12-day stretch without it, and I really didn't even miss it.

But, one good thing about it -- all of your friends know your birthday.

So, THANKS everybody for the birthday wishes. I don't think I've ever had so many birthday wishes.



**In case you're wondering -- Marc did divulge to me what he bought me (the shipment hasn't arrived yet, though). He bought me 3 books (yep, 3) that I've been wanting. So, I'm VERY excited about that (I like to read).

I'll save those titles for another post.

My brother has a birthday in another month. So, we always celebrate our two birthdays at my parents' sometime later in March.

Marc's mom called me to wish me a "Happy Birthday." We'll celebrate with them in the coming weeks as well.

To end this VERY LONG post that keeps getting longer....

I used to not make a real big deal about my birthdays. I always thought to myself, "It's just another day. Who cares?"

Well, I've matured in my thinking over the years. To not celebrate my birthday or at least acknowledge it, I think, would be borderline an insult to God. Do I dare say that?

He created me...he created me in the way He did for a reason. I'm thankful for my life. Therefore, I will always be thankful for another year.

Luke LOVES to watch a couple of DVDs in the Praise Baby series. The God of Wonders DVD in that series has a song called You've Given Life to Me. During this song, there actually is a train. So, Luke simply knows this song as "The Train Song." He knows exactly when the train is going to come on.

Anyways, because I have seen this DVD MANY times, I have really focused on the words to this song. I have focused so much that I have typed out the words to the song and hung them up a couple of places in the house.

I sometimes tear up when I read the words because the words really emphasize what God has done for us -- sent His Son to become man and walk beside us "to understand."

I think the older I get (and since we're talking about my birthday -- it's O.K. to say "older") the more I'm "getting" that.

So, to end this post, I'd like to post the words to the song. Please, for me, in honor of my birthday, take the time to read and really study these words. Pray for God to give you the understanding of what His Son means for us -- after all, Easter is approaching as well.

You've Given Life To Me

You are my Hope
You are my Light
You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life
You have created
All I can see
You’ve Given Life To Me
You’ve Given Life To Me

Though You are God
You became man
Walked here beside us
So we’d understand
All you created
All we can be
Lord, You have set us free
Lord, You have set us free

And we praise You
And we praise You
And we love You
And we love You

You are my Hope
You are my Light
You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life
You have created
All I can see
You’ve given life To Me
You’ve Given Life To Me

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Card is late - sorry! Sure hope you get over the head cold soon. Thanks for helping with the cardboard testimonies tonight! Isn't what He has done for us so merciful and kind?

More than just okay said...

So sorry you're still struggling with that cold. I still want that hug you promised me!

As for food, I throw away soooo much. Autistic children have such reactions to not only taste, but texture & temperature that it's almost impossible to tell what Isaiah might eat. Plus he has to get used to it. He may handle a food for several meals before he will take the tiniest bite.

Anna, on the other hand, eats everything. Anything. Whether it's actually food doesn't matter to her.

Every kid is different. And different at different ages. Ben was a good eater until about 2, then picky until he hit his teen years. Now he's back to eating well - and much. Wow.

Love you Sarah, get well!!!

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

I'm sorry we didn't get to chat much at M2M last night - and I didn't even give you an in person birthday greeting! Sounds like a great day. Hope you are feeling better!!

Hugs!

Blog Archive