Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Friday, December 7, 2012

Halloween -- Just A Little Late....

Obviously, I haven't blogged much lately. Honestly, I haven't blogged much in the last 18 months. My blogging history at the bottom of this page proves that fact. I honestly don't know why. I could use the excuse I'm busy. BUT, I'm no less busy than anybody else reading this blog or blogging themselves. We live in a busy society. I could make time. I was thinking that it boiled down to thinking that not too many people read my blog. BUT, every so often, somebody random (but whom I know) comes up to me and mentions they like seeing our kiddos on the blog. SO, despite very few comments, people do read. (And, I'm not complaining about not having comments; I too do NOT leave comments on other blogs very often). Then, I was thinking that perhaps I have felt like I didn't have a real purpose on my blog...BUT, what purpose would I personally have? I'm NOT crafty. I do NOT decorate my house well. I'm NOT a theologian, though I love Jesus and thoroughly enjoy reading my Bible. Not too many people who read my blog want to know what all I learned in the 10 years after college, but before we had a child, in my "professional" job. I'm certainly NOT a parenting expert. Recently, it's become very clear to me that I seriously have some things to work on in that arena (the parenting). As many of you know, Marc and I have lead a small group at our church for a number of years now (I've honestly lost track). This past semester (and this will continue into next semester), the men and women have been meeting separately. This method of meeting alleviates some childcare needs. It also allows women studies and men studies separately. And, though I do enjoy meeting as couples, I personally thoroughly enjoy getting together with just the girls. This past Sunday evening, 5 of the 7 of us girls were there. We had a nice soup supper in homemade bread bowls with a very healthy, girly salad...It's almost too bad that it was 70 degrees that day (Ha). Admittedly, we ate supper, chatted for awhile, laughed HYSTERICALLY at Kelli's story (it's even better when told in person), and took prayer requests from ALL of us. It sounds like a great evening, doesn't it? BUT, we never did get to our study that evening. The "business" side of me cringes that we didn't get that accomplished -- like what kind of organized leader am I? The "heart" side of says, "Who cares....it was uplifting fellowship." One of the conversations we had that evening was about how sometimes blogs (and Facebook for me) are hard to read because the writers are just "braggey" about their kids, lives, events, what they did over the weekend, etc. etc. etc. NOW, logically speaking, one does not need to read blogs or Facebook that may create these feelings. AND, one can do whatever he or she pleases with a blog....in other words, don't punish the author of the blog for doing that. Since that time, I've thought a bit. Yep, I've been the blogger who has probably simply used her blog to brag. Or, perhaps I've been the blogger to make everything seem happy and rosey all of the time. Again, I'm the author of this blog...I can do as I wish. BUT, if I'm intentionally causing somebody else to stumble with feelings of jealousy, is that wrong? Well, I honestly don't want to debate that, BUT I have decided that when I post on this blog, I do want to share our kiddos, family events, thoughts I have, etc. etc. etc. BUT, I also would like to present a "Keepin' It Real" with each post. Believe me, I FULLY understand it's not a perfect world (in fact, Marc and I do NOT use the word "perfect" except for when talking about Jesus Christ). And, we're a part of the imperfect world. BUT, we're clearly commanded in the Bible to be thankful in all circumstances. AND, I have said several times on this blog that Kate has created in me a whole new desire to not only be but also express gratefulness. (Click HERE for one time I said that very thing). With all of that in mind, I also want to say what I'm grateful for with each post. We'll see how this all goes, and understand I'm NOT committing to a certain number of blog posts. Here's Halloween, 2012 (yes, just a little late)....
I've stated many times I am NOT crafty. I do NOT sew. Here's one for you -- I've NEVER been on Pinterest (SIGH...GASP...OH NO)....So, for Halloween, I rely on already made costumes or my mom's ideas. This year, it was "already made" costumes for both kiddos. Luke was Thomas (fancy costume purchased from Wal-Mart). Kate was a ladybug (CUTE costume purchased from Carter's).
We ONLY trick-or-treated around our little neighborhood. So, we went to a whopping 5 houses. Our neighbor took a photo of our little family.
A little blurry here, but you get the point....
And now -- "Keepin' It Real" -- 1) The obvious: It's December 7, and I'm just NOW posting about Halloween....2) Luke was not into dressing up this year. We had to majorly encourage it and somewhat make him dress up....3) Luke did NOT want to smile for our family pic at our neighbor's....If you scroll back up and look at the family pic, if you haven't already noticed, Luke's scowling....I told my neighbor that this would've been a wonderful family pic had Luke smiled....4) I look at these pics and am reminded about how much I want to lose some weight (this is ongoing for me)....5) AND, the best of all -- if you look closely, I put on one brown flip-flop and one black flip-flop (accidentally) that evening....Yep, I walked all over the neighborhood like that....
Why I'm grateful -- 1) I didn't spend a lot of time OR money on Luke's costume....2) We have AWESOME neighbors who are wonderful with our kids....The neighbors and the fact that we have a quiet street FAR OUTWEIGH the end of our street (intersection) and the traffic that is there....3) We live in an area where it's safe to trick-or-treat....4) God gave us FABULOUS weather for the day....5) Kate was an "easy baby" that evening....6) We got to trick-or-treat as a family....

3 comments:

jeanie@mageditor.blogspot.com said...

I am a rare commenter on any blog. However, your blog post encouraged me to leave a comment this time. I live in Wichita. My daughter goes to college in Newton and I so enjoy your blog as it helps me feel as if I "know" someone in Newton. :) I am obviously much older than you (my kids are grown up) but I love hearing about Luke and Kate. I enjoy reading your well thought posts about parenting and in my opinion...you are usually too hard on yourself. You have delightful looking children. Luke's sweet scowl on Halloween just proves he's a pretty normal little boy. :) In the past, I have quit reading blogs that portray life as some sort of glorious craft filled, cooking, home decorating, spiritual event. I'm old enough to know that it does not represent reality. Sara, you always encourage me, spur me on if you will, to be a better wife, mom and Christian. Thank you for your blog.

Amy said...

I read your blog. :) That story of Kelly's... oh my word. I cannot imagine. I love that you wore 2 different flip flops... I love your little ladybug costume... I need to lose weight, too. So bad... I totally agree about blogs sometimes. I hope I never portray my family like that. You know, with my lice/throw up/potty training stories. :)

Unknown said...

I read your blog. Don't know how I stumbled on it but it is a genuine blog. God bless you all!

Blog Archive