Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sumo....

Last weekend, our Community Life Group from church had a little "Baby Shower/Valentine's Day/Child-Free" evening.

It was originally planned as a "Happy Baby" Party for Tim & Johannah. They are expecting their first child in March -- and we're all waiting to find out if it's a boy or a girl (they've chosen not to find out).

Since it worked out on Valentine's Day weekend, it was also a little couples' outing together.

Since Sumo Japanese Grill is one of Tim & Johannah's favorites, we all met there to eat.

When we all met there, I immediately had my camera out. I don't remember exactly who it was in our group, but somebody said, "Oh -- Sarah has the camera out for the blog. Every mishap must be recorded."

(I'd like to think that I take photos for the blog to document the fun times, but I guess I can also document mishaps. I'm glad I'm gaining the reputation as always having the camera out).

Anyways,

Mishap #1....



(For the record, I'm not sure what everybody was looking UP at in this photo).

The first mishap was that they did not have our reservation. I am personally the one who made the reservation, but I felt ZERO responsibility for the mishap. I KNEW I had made it.

After a bit of a wait, they FOUND the reservation, and we were all seated.

Mishap #2....



Marc's refilled beverage spilled a bit on the table and a bit into his salad. Fortunately, it didn't end up in either of our laps.

Basically, the server set the glass down and "slid" it to Marc. The server "slid" it a bit too hard; therefore, a spill ensued.

Marc didn't mind because he ended up with a second salad :)

O.K. -- that's all of the mishaps -- two wasn't too bad, was it?

*****

After we ordered, we presented Tim & Johannah the "group" gift....



Voila! It was a baby jungle gym/play type thing. It was on their registry.

We figured it was something they could use immediately after bringing a baby home from the hospital.

We hope it works for you guys!



I'm assuming that not all of my readers to this blog have been to a Japanese Steak House. But basically, a chef comes out and cooks the food right in front of you.

He starts out by sharpening knives :)



Chicken and veggies generally are on the grill first -- they take the longest to cook (I'm assuming).

Spices are added....



Then....the "Pile o' Rice" -- to cook the famous "Garlic Fried Rice"



In my opinion, the Garlic Fried Rice is pretty much why I appreciate this restaurant. It's sooooo very yummy!



We saw a variety of dishes being prepared for our group -- chicken, shrimp, steak, and RARE tuna.

I think everybody agreed that the food was quite tasty.

One of the final things the chef does is stack onions. Then, he lights a fire in the onions.

It's one of those things I've "seen 100 times," but I have to admit it's interesting each time.



I don't like to end this blog post like this, but I'm out of photos for the evening. I think I'm now paranoid about taking too many photos :)

So instead, I will end this post by saying --

"We can't wait for your baby to arrive, Tim & Johannah. We're praying for a safe delivery. And Johannah -- you'll make it through it."

And for those of you locals reading this post -- if you haven't ever tried Sumo Japanese Grill -- give it a try. It makes for a fun evening.

3 comments:

Raising Koehns said...

Oh, my favorite Wichita eatery! Glad you guys had fun and you didn't end up with wet laps! :-)

Anonymous said...

Waiting for my chamomile tea to steep {I'm sick, yuck}, thought I check in...

Meh, it was just a comment... don't you dare stop taking photos! You KNOW how many photos some of the others in town take. ;)

Now I'm curious to what might have been on the ceiling! LOL!

Haven't ever been to a restaurant like that... that would be a neat place to go!

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Thing is, I grew up in Japan and never did I ever, ever go to a restaurant like that. And fried rice? No, just white plump rice. Sumo's and other grill places cater strictly to American flare for pizzaz. And most of the cooks aren't Japanese either. But it is fun anyway. Actually, I'd rather go to a real Sumo meet! My Dad's favorite sport! Japanese wrestling!!

Blog Archive