Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

As Promised, Another Recipe....

So, on Easter weekend, I made this salad when some friends of our's (Gary and Carla) were over -- see two posts ago. I have also made this MANY times for our small group. It gets completely eaten many times. It's a recipe that comes from my mother, and it has become a definite family favorite. It's used at MANY "Koehn Gatherings."

Oriental Cabbage Salad

1/2 Head Cabbage, Chopped
1/4 C. Chopped Green Onions
1 Package Ramen Noodles, Chicken Flavor
1 small package slivered almonds

Dressing

2 Tbsp. Sugar
3 tsp. vinegar
1/2 C. Oil (I use olive oil)
Salt & Pepper
Seasoning Packet from Ramen Noodles

First, the ingredients....



**If you're wondering about the little white bowl -- it has the sugar in it.

**I cheat a bit. Rather than buying a head of cabbage, I buy the bagged cabbage. That way, I don't have to chop. My mom, however, does think that the salad seems fresher if you chop the cabbage yourself.

Next, make the dressing. Let it set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. I use this GREAT container from "Tupperware."



**For those of you who have been around Marc much, you know that he LOVES pepper. Therefore, I use quite a bit of pepper in my dressing. I do not use any salt. Use what your tastebuds desire.

Then, toast the almonds on a cookie sheet. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Toast them for 5-10 minutes. BE CAREFUL! They burn easily. Definitely set a timer.



Now, chop the onions.



Then, put the cabbage and onions in a bowl. Store in a refrigerator until ready to use.



After the almonds are done toasting in the oven and are cooled, put them in a sealable container until ready to use. Then, break up the Ramen noodles into a sealable container until ready to use.

Broken Ramen Noodles



Almonds and Ramen Noodles in Sealable Containers



Now, right before you're serving it....dump the Ramen Noodles and Almonds into the salad (mixture of cabbage and green onions). Lastly, add the dressing, and toss. STIR THE DRESSING BEFORE ADDING TO SALAD! THE SUGAR SETTLES TO THE BOTTOM!

Here's the finished product.



**Note #1: This salad does NOT keep well. So, try to eat most of it. The Ramen Noodles get a bit soft for the next day.

**Note #2: I have made 1/2 a salad for Marc and myself. Then, I'll bake some chicken breasts to put on top of it. VERY TASTY!

Enjoy!

Now, Debby, I know you have a similar recipe, and I thought I had it in my book. I cannot find it. Perhaps you could put the recipe on your blog :)

1 comment:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

I'll post my recipe here:

Saute together:
2T butter or margarine
1 pkg ramen noodles, crushed (discard pkg of flavoring)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
2 t. sesame seeds
dash of salt

Heat and cool:
2 T. vinegar
3 T. sugar
1 T. soy sauce
3 T. oil

Toss with ramen and dressing 1 small head chinese (or Napa) cabbage
2 stalks green onions, chopped

Ingredients can be stored separately in refrigerator until ready to eat.

Fairly similar I think except the cabbage we use is not the american cabbage.

Debby

Blog Archive