Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Monday, July 7, 2014

A Significant Party...

If you know us OR you've been reading this blog for awhile, you should know that Marc has "older" parents -- older as in elderly.  Marc's dad was 50 when he was born, and since Marc does turn 40 in a matter of a little over 2 months, Marc's dad turns 90 on July 18.

We asked him awhile back if he wanted a party for 90, and he actually said, "Yes".  (Marc's dad, Alvin, is difficult to figure out sometimes; we weren't sure what he would say).

With summer schedules and quite a few summer family birthdays, we figured July 6 would work the best.  So, several months ago, I booked the fellowship hall at their church.

Marc is an only child, and I'm his wife (Duh)....Therefore, the party became mine to plan -- Ha!

I didn't *mind* planning the party; however, I struggle a bit with decor, creative ideas, etc....I am NOT on Pinterest (Gasp; Sigh) because I do not need to waste anymore time than I already do.  SO, any idea I had was from my head!  (It helped, admittedly, that just over 2 years ago, we held Marc's parents' 50th wedding anniversary party, and a friend helped me a bit; I did similar things at this party).

Enough *talking* -- here are pics!

The night before -- the gathering of everything in our dining/family room....


Dilllon's (our local "Kroger" grocer) did the cakes.  They did a SPECTACULAR job, in my opinion.  We received many compliments on the cakes.




I found some awesome "90" napkins at "Party City"!  The blue punch???  It's actually lime slush ("Arctic Rush" from my alma mater -- "Dairy Queen)....



We also served coffee at the request of Marc's mom.  Elderly people certainly like to come out for coffee on a 100-degree heat index afternoon, despite a nice punch also being served.  My parents helped out in multiple ways.  I managed to snap this pic of my dad (Papa Andover) showing Luke how to make coffee.  This pic is funny to me because neither of my parents drink coffee.


I managed to find one simple banner -- with the option to customize the age.


My dad did quite a bit of research for us -- finding facts about the year Alvin was born (1924).  We displayed his research at the "sign in" table (which also had a "splurged upon" leather-bound guest book)....in this pic, Alvin is sitting by his table. Alvin is simply NOT a man of many words or compliments, but he did say the "room looked nice"...


We're guessing around 70 people came.  Alvin & Ann (Marc's mom) seemed happy, visiting with friends & family).



Luke, before this party, was given the opportunity to earn a compass -- something he's been askin for. To earn a compass, he had to demonstrate a great attitude, be polite, and be a good servant (help out) at this party.  Luke did excellent -- considering it was an event with ZERO other children, his parents forgot to take "stuff" for him to read/do, and he was tired thanks to too many late nights during a holiday weekend.  In my opinion, Luke more than earned his compass.  So, after the party, we took him to get a compass.  He was a happy boy, and the compass has been used and used some more today.


Now, where was Kate, you might ask.  Well, Marc & I are parents who don't like to skip her nap, if at all possible. I mentioned earlier that my parents helped in multiple ways.  Well, my mom "got" the "job" of staying home for part of the afternoon with Kate.  So, Kate took a nap in her own bed while my mom stated home with her.  My mom woke her up and brought her to the party for the last part of the party. That was a smart move, if I do say so myself.  She was rested, and none of us were constantly having to watch Kate, an early 2 year-old, for the ENTIRE party.  Plus, her grandparents did get to see her at the end of the party.

Luke was THRILLED when Kate arrived. It gave him something to do.  We were only finding baby toys in the church's nursery; toys which were not age-appropriate for Luke.  In fact, as one would expect, he had ZERO interest in them.  But, when his sister arrived, he was more than happy to take her to the toys & stay with her.  And, other than a badly-leaked diaper on his sister, it was a nice way to end the party.

I walked into the nursery at one point to check on our kiddos (this would be before the nasty diaper).  I'm SO thankful I had my phone with me.  Kate was rocking a baby, and I would've been sad to not have this pic!

.

No comments:

Blog Archive