Welcome....Here's a glimpse of our happenings!

The verses that have REALLY spoken to me (Sarah) lately....



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25



Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. I Peter 5:8-9



From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' Acts 17:26-28



May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14



So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:32-33



God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business. It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. Deuteronomy 29:29 (The Message)

About the Friesen's....

We are Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate Friesen. We were married June 5, 2004. We have one son, born July 21, 2008, named Luke Andrew -- now 4 years old. We also have a daughter named Kate Christine -- born June 6, 2012. Marc is working at Cessna as a Senior Accountant, and Sarah stays home full-time with Luke. Sarah also gets to work very part-time at home for Graber Backhoe -- an excavation company AND VERY part-time at our church. We LOVE being a part of Grace Community Church here in Newton, KS. We lead a Community Life Group of other wonderful couples. Marc thoroughly enjoys long-distance running and Taekwondo. Sarah thoroughly enjoys walking -- especially when the weather is nice to take Luke and/or out in the stroller. Thanks for reading our blog!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Unusual Arizona Bean Dip....

A few weekends ago, I was here....



It's called Maple Memories. It's a craft house "retreat" type place.

Some of the girls who were there have already blogged about it. I haven't yet done so, and this post isn't going to be that post either.

But, in the meantime, I will share something from that weekend.

Each of us brought a snack to share. I chose to make my snack.

I'll share the recipe....It's actually from a cookbook that a Dairy Queen owner gave me a few years ago -- remember, I worked for 10 whopping years for International Dairy Queen. She thought I'd enjoy it, and I do appreciate the thoughtfulness.

It's called "Unusual Arizona Bean Dip."

Here goes....

2 (7 oz.) cans Mexicorn, drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 C. Italian creamy-style dressing
1/4 C. Ranch salad dressing
1/2 sm. onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1/4 tsp. Cumin
1 sm. avocado
1 tsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

It sounds interesting, doesn't it?

Here are a few photos...

First, all of the ingredients....



Starting to get them all mixed together....



I scooped out the avocado last....It's so nice when the avocadoes are nice and ripe as it's much easier to scoop.



And, Voila -- the finished product....



It's really quite tasty with tortilla chips. Since New Year's Eve is coming up soon, give it a try. I promise it won't let you down!

*****

And, for the usual dose of thankfulness, today it's #339 -- the distant cry of a train whistle.

For those of you who do not live in the same town as us, let me explain something to you.

The railroad is HUGE here in town. The school's mascot is named after the railroad. The railroad employees quite a few people here in town. It truly is a very efficient way of transporting goods that we need....etc., etc.

But, it sometimes can be an inconvenience. Trains in this town have taught us all patience as you cannot cross the town without crossing the tracks. I don't think I've ever met somebody in this town who isn't occasionally annoyed by the trains.

Probably a month ago or so, I made a Facebook status post about trains. I mentioned in this post that I USED to get annoyed a bit with trains.

But, Luke has taken a real liking to trains. He knows from several blocks away when we're approaching the tracks. He immediately looks to the side of this carseat to see if there is a train.

Now, when it's sooooo utterly cute to watch Luke and his trains, it seems as if we never see one.

I actually wish we'd see one more often.

So, there's my thankfulness -- I'm thankful for the distant cry of a train whistle. It gives me sooooo much joy to see Luke watch his trains and get excited when he knows one is coming.

Here's a photo of Luke...This was taken a little over a month ago (it mustn't have been real cold that day since he doesn't have a coat on). This photo was taken when we were actually stopped for at rain. He just watched it very intently from his carseat.

5 comments:

Momma H said...

Oh Ho! an engineer in the making!! It's not a bad career, really. Lee was/is a great provider because of his 42 yrs on the railroad. So I have to thank the Lord when I see a train. Those guys are paying our retirement, sort of. Heh heh.

Candice said...

Awww, cute! BTW, I can't wait to see pics from your craft weekend.

Allen and Debby Graber said...

American trains fascinate me. They are soooo long! We often count the number of cars. I think most trains in Japan are 3 cars long. Up to 5 maybe. And of course, they are mostly passenger trains. I just couldn't get over the length of trains here.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the trains. LOL! I try not to grumble, but a lot of times I do... probably because every time I have to go somewhere, I get stopped by one... yeah, every time, LOL! My timing is uncanny. And we live close enough that, when we hear a train, we wait a bit... but sometimes that just doesn't work if there's another coming along right after. In recent years, with the increased railroad use, there are certain times of the day you get trains coming through every ten minutes or so! Hubby and I have sat down at Okerberg Park and just watched them when taking a break on our walks.

I'm gonna hafta try that bean dip... but without the cilantro. We kinda have, um, "problems" when we eat things with cilantro, LOL!

Anonymous said...

{P. S. Thank you for being the first person to post a comment on my blog. *wink*}

Blog Archive